Source: Gina Mendolo
• 1.5 t olive oil
• 1 onion, finely chopped
• 2 ribs celery, finely diced
• 1 large vegetable bullion cube
• 1 cup water
• 3 cups cooked or canned black beans
• ½ bell pepper, diced
• 1 t ground cumin
• 1/2 t salt (not needed if you use canned beans)
• 1T lemon juice
1. Heat olive oil, onions, garlic, and celery in a large pot (preferably a cast iron Dutch oven).
2. Saute the onions, garlic, and celery in a large pot until just tender
3. Add the water and bullion to the pot and simmer for 10 minutes.
4. Puree one half (1.5 cups) of the beans using or food processor or add to the soup and puree using an immersion blender.
5. Add the beans (pureed and whole) along with the bell pepper and cumin to the pot and simmer for 15 minutes.
6. Turn off heat and stir in salt and lemon juice.
Note: This recipe makes enough for one full dinner for two people. I almost always make a triple or quad batch and freeze the leftovers.