Source: Gina Mendolo
- 3 cups all purpose flour (You may substitute up to 1.5 cups of whole grain flour in place of the all-purpose flour.)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 unsalted butter, cold and chopped into quarter inch pieces
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 3/4 cup fresh, canned, or frozen, blueberries (If canned, drained and rinsed.)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Combine the four, baking powder, salt, and sugar in a bowl.
- Using your fingers or a pastry blender rub in butter until the mixture resembles bread crumbs.
- Make a well in the center and pour in the buttermilk mixing to form a soft, slightly sticky dough.
- Gently fold in blueberries.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and knead lightly, incorporating more flour if necessary.
- Pat or roll dough to a thickness of 3/4 inch.
- Cut into rounds approximately 2 1/2 inches in diameter and place on a cookie sheet.
- Bake for approximately 12 minutes until tops are just beginning to turn golden.