Source: Gina Mendolo
- 3 c all purpose flour
- 1 t salt
- 4 t baking powder
- 1 c grated zucchini (skin left on)
- 1 c Monterey jack cheese
- 2 T fresh dill
- 1 c buttermilk
- 4 T unsalted butter, melted
- 1 T flaxseed meal (I use Bob’s Red Mill brand, available at Trader Joe’s, Whole Foods, and Amazon)
- 3 T water
- 1 t baking soda
- 1 T vinegar
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease 1 standard loaf pan, 6 personal size loaf pans, or 12 muffin cups.
- Mix the flaxseed meal and water and microwave for 30 seconds. Set aside.
- Mix the flour, salt, baking powder, zucchini, cheese, and dill in a large bowl. Set aside.
- Mix the buttermilk, butter, flaxseed+water mixture in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- Mix the baking soda and vinegar (the mixture will foam) and add immediately to the buttermilk mixture.
- Pour the wet buttermilk mixture into the relatively dry flour mixture and mix gently. The batter will be quite thick. You want to have everything to be well moistened, but the mixture should not be totally homogeneous.
- Spoon the dough into the prepared pan.
- Bake for approximately 35 minutes or until the top of the bread is golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center of the bread comes out clean.