My “Independence Days” update for this past week:
1. Plant something:
- Ack! I don’t think I planted anything this past week. Must remedy this next week. I did see my first crop of corn popping up through the ground though!
2. Harvest something:
- Tomatoes, Jalapenos, Carrots, Parsley, Basil, Strawberries (from our garden)
3. Preserve something:
- Applesauce (21 pints) – that makes 28 pints total. Yea!
- Dried Parsley (4 ounces)
- Dried Basil (6 ounces)
4. Prep something:
- Put in (and received) a big seed order from The Natural Gardening Company. I am trying to build up a year stash of seeds.
- Ordered (and mistakenly received) 100 bareroot strawberry crowns. I put in my order now for a January ship date (the appropriate planting time for our zone) and they mistakenly sent them out immediately. The raised bed that they are going to live in isn’t finished so I have a problem, however, Seeds of Change doesn’t want them back and is going to ship me a new batch in January, for free. I am keeping the crowns I have in the fridge and hopefully they will survive until the bed is finished. If so, then I just got strawberries for half price!
5. Cook something new:
- I finally perfected a simple quick (Thomas allergen free) stir-fry sauce.
- I also tried an egg-free pancake recipe from the internet that was pretty good, but needs a little work.
6. Manage your reserves:
- Nothing significant this week.
7. Work on local food systems:
- I can’t think of anything out of the ordinary.